Arcanum RPG

Discussion in 'Roleplaying Forum' started by ytzk, Jun 3, 2011.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

Fairly straightforward. However, he surely must realize Bellerogrim is alive in this time period!
    Whatever the case, now the matter seemed to be to find that magnetic meteorite.
    I'm fairly certain I can make a compass. I have a needle, a magnet, a cork, and a glass to hold water. After magnetizing the needle, I simply force it through the cork, and suspend it in the glass of water. We should be able to find that meteorite in no time! (intelligence +1) By the way, I'm sure you all noticed something peculiar about that sarcophagus. It has a highly technological aura around it, but the ambient magickal power of the area dampens the aura as to make it imperceptible...to those who don't have a pocket watch, heh. Mmm...aha! Just as I thought! The compass is leading straight back to the sarcophagus! The sarcophagus is the magnetic meteorite!

2. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

***Gregory Soapstone is now level 4***
    ***Hannah Clayborne is now level 4***
    ***Viktor Salazar is now level 4***
    ***Pug Buckle is now level 3***
    ***John Doe is now level 3***
    ***Zalakar is now level 3***

3. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

Zalakar stuns Viktor, to the relief of everyone involved.

"SO! All we need to do is lug tons of iron into a dragon's lair and cozy up to it's eggs?!

"If I ever get my hands on this Linkenberry, he'll have eternity to explain himself under torture!"

4. Rain-Dog

Rain-Dog Member

[OOC, sorry I'm a bit behind, had some rain-related keyboard issues]

Upon seeing the dragon Pug Buckle promptly threw himself to floor, trying to make himself as small as possible. This, predictably, was not overly successful. Seeing the dragon fly haughtily away from them, despite the best efforts of a number of Pug's fellow throw-backs.

When the dwarf appeared Pug began to feel really miserable. He was starting to understand where (or indeed when) they were and he did not like it. He didn't have any money, he didn't know anyone and everybody around him was shouting. At least the Boil didn't have any dragons.

Pug didn't know who Bellerogrim was. He asked. The looks the others gave him were not comforting.

5. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

A look of evil cunning replaces Zalakars look of evil frustration.

"Well now, my good ma... ogre. It's simple really, if you can carry a big rock for an hundred miles, you win more gold than you can drink in a lifetime! Understand?"

Another dozen reiterations and a handful of gold pieces gets the message through to Pug. Zalakar has to go and sit down for a while afterwards, nursing a headache. His sense of self-preservation is warring with his sense of social superiority, but he fights down his pathological rudeness long enough to play nice... for now. (+ 1 Willpower)

The sun sets very late at this time of year and latitude. The weather is clement, but there are still many predators.

6. Jungle Japes

Jungle Japes Well-Known Member

Hannah made quite a show of being highly displeased with having been roped into this undertaking. In truth, she was relieved to finally have some sense of direction and purpose. So what if it involved traveling through time and lugging a chunk of metal halfway across Arcanum into the lair of a legendary dragon?

"Well, my good dwarf, you've lost me on the finer points, but I get the idea. And while this Linkenberry fellow probably isn't (or wasn't) completely sound in the head, surely he couldn't expect us to move an item such as that sarcophagus without the aid of machinery that has yet to be invented. Surely, this meteorite must be inside the sarcophagus.
    There were nods of agreement.
    "So you boys run along back there and investigate. I'll be along shortly, the events of the day have caused me to perspire and I will require a wash in the river."

The men started back in the direction of the sarcophagus, though John lingered a moment by the wood line. "Don't worry, I can take care of myself" she called, giving him a wink and a smile.

7. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

Returning to the site of the large stone, Pug Buckle, Gregory Soapstone, Viktor Salazar and Zalakar surprise a pack of three [level 30] Baleful Hounds, drawn to the carcass of the bear.

[ooc - The monsters are about 8 action points distant from each of you; You each have one game-turn (=~3 seconds) in which to act before the monsters retalliate.]

Meanwhile, John Doe feels compelled to stand guard (out of sight) while Hannah Clayborne bathes in the river, keeping his pistol primed for action.

Zalakar (8 AP) casts Shield of Force on himself (-4 AP - 5 FP) and runs four strides in the opposite direction (-4 AP -1 FP).

8. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Viktor was appeased and a bit dizzy ever since Zalakar stunned him, but he regains full awareness and readiness the moment he spots the Baleful Hounds.

Fiends and nightmares, here you are, at last!

As they feast on the dead bear, the hounds stand nearly in a straight line next to each other. Excellent. Viktor makes some quick obscure gestures with his left hand, almost subconsciously preparing a fire spell with it, while placing his right hand on his forehead. Eyes closed, he searches for the beasts' minds.

The dwarf... some insects... one hound is running already? - wait, no, that's the damn necromage... Ah, there you are, all three. I have you now.

(38/38 FP, 8 AP)

Viktor moves his right hand away from his forehand and snaps his fingers. The middle Hound is stunned and flailing.

(-10 FP, -4 AP)

As quick as a second later, as the preparations for the fire spell are complete, Viktor opens his eyes and throws out his left hand. As he spreads his fingers, a wall of fire bursts around the bear's carcass. Viktor tried to enclose all three Hounds in the flames, but the success is only partial.

The stunned Hound is right in the middle of the wall, taking substantial damage. The right - from Viktor's perspective - hound is intact. The left has been hit and pushed aside by the flames. It is slightly burned here and there, but Viktor can feel that rather than fear, fury is what fills the beasts mind. Fury and the unbroken intention to charge in the general direction of the team.

(-10FP, -4 AP, end of round with 18/38 fatigue points left)

9. Rain-Dog

Rain-Dog Member

Pug Buckle sees the hounds and growls. He sees Viktor stun one and decides to join.

PUUUGGGGGGGG he bellows, raising his cudgle as he charges the dogs.

He swings his weapon around his head, preparing to crush the skull of the first hound to come within his reach.

Upon reaching the hounds, he strikes, scoring a glancing blow on the nearest hound. This just seems to make it angrier and Pug is suddenly bowled over by the hound leaping at his chest.

Pug is knocked to the ground where he struggles with the surprisingly powerful dog.

10. Jungle Japes

Jungle Japes Well-Known Member

After a refreshing dip, Hannah returned to her pile of clothes on the river bank. Her hair, which she usually arranged meticulously, she now tied back in a hasty pony tail. This gave her a more personable appearance. (+1 Beauty) Once she was dressed, she belted on her sword over her duster. Thus prepared, she started in the direction of the sarcophagus.
    Not in any particular hurry, Hannah stopped to smell an especially beautiful flower. She found its aroma intoxicating, and decided to pluck it from the stem and place behind her ear. (+1 Charisma) She then set out to rejoin the others, smiling and humming a tune.

Shortly after entering the woods, she heard a baleful howl from up ahead. Her smile faded and she picked up the pace somewhat, fearing trouble but not wanting to break a sweat so soon after bathing.

11. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

***Pug Buckle is now level 4***
    ***John Doe is now level4***
    ***Viktor Salazar is now level 5***
    ***Hannah Clayborne is now level 5***

12. Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

Suddenly, the air in the direct vincinity of the sarchophagus becomes static. Bolts of lightning ripple in the tense air, and a deep humming sound catches everyones attention. As the sound builds up, the bolts increase in ferocity, until the sight and sound of it is almost unbearable. Pug, allthough dumbstruck intellectually, instinctively knows something bad is about to happen and desperately crawls away to a safe place away from the sarchophagus. A monent later, the Hound persuing him is hit by a bolt and explodes. The same thing happens to the other two hounds in a matter of moments, and then the whole scene erupts in a loud bang and a flash of bright, white light.

When the momentary blindness is over the party spots a man sitting on the ground in front of the sarchophagus, his arms covering his head. He is dressed in a classic nice suit and looks like he's in his twenties. After a moment or two, he slowly removes his hands from his face and dares a peek of the world around him. He looks straight at you for a few seconds.

I, uh... why.... who.... uh... Hello?

13. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

The Baleful Hounds are distracted by the lightning, saving Pug from a royal savaging. The beasts blink and focus on the unassuming, pale young man blinking shortsightedly in their midst, and charge.

Just as the newcomer is set to become dessert, another round of lightning arcs around the glade.

Three intense bolts of thunder echo through the woods, and the three monsters are now a pile of settling dust on the forest floor.

Everyone nearby is just a little bit deafened, blinded and sunburnt.

From the woods steps a robed figure with pointed ears, arrogant eyebrows and an expression of utter smugness.

"What Ho, lesser races?"

14. Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

Although Felix is still in chock from whatever it was that just happened to him the display of magic obviously greater than his own spurs his brain into overdrive, forcing him to stand and greet the stranger coming out of the woods. He claps his hands together and moves towards the man in a way resembling that of a four-year old happily stumbing towards his new puppy.

Good Sir! he exclaims, I just wanted to tell you, before we continue, that what you just did was perhaps the finest display of magic I've seen in my life! Even though the effect was rather brutal, it was splendid! Where did you find it? The spell, I mean? Was it de Gausse? Or Whytehammer? Or was it, uh, whatshisname, that elven fellow... S'Mirkel, or Smurgsomething, or whatever his name was again, I... uh... Sir?

He notices the expression on the elfs face and falls silent. Not because he is frightened, but rather because he cannot make it out. Felix thought elves were like that; you couldn't tell wether thet were angry, bored, surprised or even confused simply by looking at them. Sometimes, he wondered if their faces were made or marble or somesuch material.

Uh... he said in an attempt to salvage the situation, My name is Felix, sir. Felix Pale and, uh, I don't think I know much else that could be considered relevant at the moment, sir... Uh, might I ask your name?

Our Host!