does any tech stuff stack?

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by namad, Sep 2, 2006.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. namad

namad Member

does any tech stuff stack? like just picking up all the roots in the first map of the game overfills your inventory! eek... (making it all into healing salves doesnt actually even save any space at all...)

what sort of safe locations can large piles of junk be stored? a techie has to be a packrat sortof yet you dont really get a house in the game or anything..

2. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

One thing that helps is putting items in your belt. It gives a little more room, and doesn't seem to be hindered by the size of the item. The weight is still there, but the space it occupied is free.
    And, another thing you could do is kill Bates. You get the opportunity to buy his house, and then you can use all of the storage space inside of it (the chests, the dressers...). Or, the cheap thing you could do is just kill a shopkeeper you never use (or use very little). I'd go with Ristezze. You only need to talk to him once, and all of his stuff has inflated prices. After you kill him, you can just break into his back room and start piling things into "your" chest. You may need to sell the crap that was in there first. If you still run out of space, keep killing shopkeepers.

3. Zebulin

Zebulin New Member

In tarant if you do the warehouse quest you get a literal warehouse in which to store anything. There is just about enough storage space there to fit everything in the game.

Another huge storage area is the shipwreck next to caladon which has dozens of storage crates.

An even better option for a techie might be to acquire the ship so you can keep your storage at the nearest port city instead of just one static location.

I think you're playing Car arcanum though right?

In that case do you most important storage (items you access a lot) in the panarii "crypts" that Chris added in because that location has the special property that you can access it from practically every major yown in the game.

4. Solaris

Solaris New Member

But as long as he is alive, you can steal money from his chest with ridiculous ease without even pissing him off.

Inventory space does tend to become a problem, yes.

Here's what I do:

Put a few larger items into the belt slots. Frees a lot of space at times.

Don't hoard junk that you know you won't have uses for anytime soon. If you can't use it or sell it- don't pick it up.

The overload problem most often arises in Tarant. Use the rat warehouse as a storage space, its safe and items won't disappear.

Unload everything unnecessery before leaving town or before going into dungeons where you expect to be overloaded- like the Black Mountain Clan.

When you have an overload of healing salves, take bandages away from Jayna, let her use up healing salves instead.

5. Philes

Philes Well-Known Member

As an alternative to these other suggestions, you could pick up some more followers by making a charismatic character so you have more people to spread your stuff out too. However, if you're not going the charismatic route this is a waste of points.

I have found that getting to expert in haggle really helps to clean my inventory out as I can then sell anything I don't need (which is a lot, really, you don't need that much stuff hanging around) to pretty much anyone. And I've noticed that sell prices tend to be the same regardless of reaction. It seems that buy prices are affected by reaction and haggle skills, wheras sell prices are only affected by haggle (makes it eaiser on my "Sold Your Soul" character for selling though, heh).

Oh, and since nobody technically answered your question directly......no, things don't appear to stack.

6. Zebulin

Zebulin New Member

SO would it be a time consuming task to edit these items to make them stackable or would that be a fairly trivial mod?

7. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

The only tech stuff that stacks would be bullets and charges. Everything else remains as a seperate item in your inventory. However, did you notice that if you have a useable item in your belt, any duplicates will be represented as the number remaining? I think that all you would need to do is modify your inventory to behave like your belt. However, this might mean you'd still need to put stuff in a chest. However, it might be sort of like how a shopkeeper sells you certain items without actually having them on their person.
    Of course, as much as I can describe something like this, I really can't say how to do it. It's more in TONGS' area of expertise.

8. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

And like all major changes I think we can guess what he'll say, 'Its hardcoded into the game, so you can't do it'.

9. namad

namad Member

things like...RAGS

things like...RAGS or ... herbs or... potions .. or bandages or salves... those...if those..stacked...a technologist would be wayyyy more fun even moreso than any adding of items.... a mage can cast heal minor 1000times or harm 1000times but a healing salve or molvtov cocktail even if u collect the items..take up space lots of space

10. Zebulin

Zebulin New Member

Are there any stackable items that don't display in a special field somewhere? All the stackable things I can think of display in either the gold or ammo field in addition to the inventory window at least some of the time.

I wonder if that's a sign that stackability is hardcoded.

11. Vorak

Your probably right.

Fuel
    Bullets
    Arrows
    Charges
    Coins

I think thats everything that can stack and they all show up on the counter in the display. The only other thing that shows in that counter is the amount of mana reserve certain magical weapons contain.

12. Zebulin

Zebulin New Member

Speaking of stackability I often get *huge* stacks of ammo like bullets that I want to distribute to my ammo using followers.

I really *hate* giving myself carpal tunnel clicking the the little "up" arrow button on the trade ammo display 200 times to transfer 200 bullets to one follower.

Is there a way to quickly select the amount of a stack to transfer just like you can quickly choose the transfer the entire quantity to them?

13. Vorak

The numberpad on your keyboard, just type in the amount you want.

14. Zebulin

Zebulin New Member

THANK YOU :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

15. TONGSyaBASS

TONGSyaBASS Member

-THUNDEROUS VOICE FROM THE HEAVENS-
    OH YE OF LITTLE FAITH! THOU SHALL BE SMOTTEN UPON THE BARREN...-cough-...
    It *is* possible. Requires some hexing though. DKoepp never figured it out and neither have I...but it is possible. I looked at it very briefly then decided it wasn't worth the effort.
    I agree that being able to stack salves, etc would be handy and it makes sense but it's quite far down my to-do-list.

16. Vorak

I am sorry mighty one, I shall sacrifice my second born to you as penance for my insolence.

I didn't know DKoepp tried to do it.

Our Host!