Film

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by Gray Wanderer, Jun 16, 2012.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!

How would you like a film about Arcanum?

1. It would be great.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. It is a bad idea.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. It is a good idea, but I don't think that they would make a good film.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. It is a good idea, I think they could make a good film.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I don't know.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. They should continue the game.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Gray Wanderer

Gray Wanderer New Member

For a long time I have been thinking about how would a film about Arcanum look like. I believe that the game has great potential in this aspect and, if done well, I would not regret watching a film adaption. What about you guys? Would you like to see a film about the great world of Arcanum? Which character would pick your interest? What scene would you be curious about?

If there would be such a film, then I wonder what would the Void look like. Also, I think that the scene in which Arronax destroyes Vendigrtoh wouls be a most interesting one, even as a flashback. Virgil's character would not be so bad too, I think.

Let me hear your opinions.

2. Pyotr

Pyotr Member

I'd prefer film about Age of Legends, because, unlike the game, it is more static. Also, full view of Vendigroth from the sky would be included.

3. werozzi

werozzi Member

I think it would be terrible, i can't figure out how can a movie capture the depth of arcanum gameplay, because it is truly influenced by the payer, unlike other so-called "RPG's", and also viewing the result of comic/game/book themed movies, it's almost sure they would make some bad job, making a steampunk-action movie. that it.

on my opinion it would be like making arcanum a FPS game: crap.

4. DivinePonies

DivinePonies Member

Well, it depends. Making only one film is nowhere near enough time for all the events happened in game. A series would be more fitting. Something like soap opera, but with good actors and good dialogues. I vote Liam Neeson as Virgil.

5. Jojobobo

Jojobobo Well-Known Member

Films rarely do unique settings justice - so it's a bad idea as far I'm concerned. Too much would get lost in translation; I don't really like the Lord of the Rings films for the same reasons as too much in the setting (and in the story too) had to be compromised to make a film adaptation.

6. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

I tried and I just can't imagine this going well.

7. werozzi

werozzi Member

Maybe if the movie was an erotic musical...
    it would still be cheap.

8. symban

symban New Member

When I saw that post I didn't bother to write anything as any film of Arcanum would be a total crap steampunk action movie where protagonist would be making it out with Raven and Myn Gorad in 10 min long scenes and fighting mechanized arachnoids/automatons and M.Hand assassins in flashy scenes for the rest.

Then, when I last checked the forums I noticed that it might be good in the form of a M grade cartoon serie such as once Spawn had. Of course the problem of choice is there such as; what gender/race/aptitude/alignment/skill and behaviour the protagonist will have, how will he approach each event, how will he solve them, and most importantly who will accompany him/her ?

If they were to choose what would sell, they would end up with will smith in wildwildwest, but who knows every once in a while an anti-hero pops in films.

9. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    I'd love the idea, but I know they'd fuck it up in execution/ have Uwe Boll direct it.

Also, I do not think a movie would do the setting any justice - to do that, you'd need a TV series. One that didn't devolve into stupidity, but stuck to one or maybe two seasons and reached its conclusion after that. Realising now that divineponies already said that, but meh, it needed to be reiterated.

Liam Neeson is old enough to be Joachim though.

Our Host!