How the Cookie Crumbles

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by xento, Sep 11, 2004.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. xento

xento New Member

I recently stumbled across this political flash movie, and I must say, it seems very logical. Is fixing all the problems really that simple?

2. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

No. Nothing is ever that simple. I'm not an expert on politics, let alone American politics, but throwing more money at a problem is not guaranteed to make it go away.

3. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

Well when the schools I and my peers have attended, and graduated from are so blatantly under funded, a little money couldnt hurt. The same goes for healthcare. And sexual education.

4. DarkUnderlord

DarkUnderlord Administrator Staff Member

I want a cookie. Is it only the Oreo's that are worth $10 Billion each?

Seriously: Throwing money alone at the problem won't solve it. Then again, throwing money at defence doesn't make the country all that much safer either. Though in reality, given that money is the ultimate value that can be placed on anything, money will solve any problem.

... and now we explain the contradiction above:

It boils down to how that money is spent. I'll continue my slightly non-sensical slide here and say one of the things I found funny this year in Australian politics was the "we'll cut the red tape for small business" line that got recycled (by both major parties). The reality is, that "red tape" is all legally required forms, documentation etc... etc... that small business needs to have to employ people, trade goods and services, pay tax etc... etc... If you want to cut the red tape, you need to identify just what red tape you're going to cut. Which legislation are you going to change? What law are you going to tweak to allow one Government department access to the information held by another, therefore saving the small business owner from having to fill in two forms with the same info twice, one for each department?

It's the same with money. Throwing an Oreo at Education won't fix it, unless you know how that Oreo is going to be crumbled. Schools are underfunded. Underfunded how? More teachers? More money for text books? More money for better quality teachers? What exactly are you going to spend that money on? Then realise that each of those issues are tiny issues in and of themselves. Maybe 1/100th of a cookie will buy enough text books, 2/100th might be enough to buy all the computers you need. That leaves you with quite a bit of cookie left.

Ultimately, that's the crux of the problem (the crux of most problems in Government actually). People have a general idea but no real grasp of how that idea is actually a combination of several hundred tiny problems, all of which take some serious man power to investigate, determine an outcome and decide upon. Besides, who wants to read the Government's 1,000 page document on how they're going to spend all that money?

[/rabble]

5. Xz

Xz Monkey Admin Staff Member

I pity the people who writes that stuff, the 1 000 page documents that is....

Our Host!