New WorldEd (1074)

Discussion in 'Modding and Scripting Support' started by johtib, Dec 22, 2001.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. johtib

johtib New Member

I read the Amtut mod building guide and I can build mods just fine using the old (1070) version of WorldEd BUT I'm completly lost in the new version. Where's my *.mes files? My mod's folder? How do I create dialog in this new WorldEd? ;(
    Is there a tutorial that cover the changes in the new WorldEd (the official manually isn't very good except for finding out what all the numbers go, scripts etc...)? I would like the new one because it lacks some of the pain in the a** bugs!

Regards,

Johan Tibell

2. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

They are all in your .dat file. WorldEd 1074 only reads .dat files, therefore each time you open a mod, it uncompresses it, then compresses it again when finished.

3. johtib

johtib New Member

Yeah, but where does it uncompress them? I need to edit the *.mes files so I can set names of items, starting map, etc...

Regards,

Johan Tibell

4. johtib

johtib New Member

Well, I've figured it out now. You have to:

I. Save your module.
    II. Exit WorldEd.
    III. Open up a command prompt and unpack the dat-file with DBMaker (download from Troika).
    IV. Edit the files you want.
    V. Pack the mod again using DBMaker (overwrite any old files).

It's a pain in the ass since WorldEd has a life on it's own and undo lots of your changes. *sigh*

5. dgale

dgale New Member

Accessing files in WorldEd 1074

Against the tide of popular opinion . . . I am also using 1074 for my module.

Many of the .mes files that you need to edit can be accesses directly from the Edit menu.

Some files you want to edit won't be available this way. Notably WorldMap.mes and Maplist.mes. For these, you will need find where WorldEd 1074 unpacks your DAT files. This should be in %temp%WorldEd Working FolderModules[Your mod name]. If you are having a hard time finding it, go to Edit -> Scripts/Dialog - >ScrMaker. In SockMonkey, choose "Save As" and take note of the path.

Once you've located the World Ed working directory, you can add files here or edit exisiting ones. If you do this while your module is open in WorldEd, when you close the module, WorldEd will add all these files to you DAT.

Also, if you are smart, you are using DJ Unique's Script Editor. When using Script Editor and 1074, you will want to save your scripts to this working directory while WorldEd is open.

As with WorldEd 1074 . . . when you make changes to an mes file such as gamedesc.mes, the changes don't show up in WorldEd until you close and re-open your module.

6. johtib

johtib New Member

Our Host!