Question on incorperating speech into custom modules

Discussion in 'Modding and Scripting Support' started by monnie101@yahoo.com, Dec 9, 2001.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. monnie101@yahoo.com

monnie101@yahoo.com New Member

I'm contemplating on making a module. I have downloaded plenty information for reading, files, and whatnot. I assume I'll be doing alot of reading before I even actually begin.

My question is with the scriptmaking, can I incorperate speech files into the module so that my NPCs can talk?

2. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

What, do you mean .wav files and stuff like that i.e. having voiced characters?

Sorry, but I have no idea how to do it. Again, check out TMS's forums.

3. Dj_Unique

Dj_Unique Member

I suppose it can be done. Since the original game speech resides in modules/arcanum.dat, I am very sure it can be done for custom modules as well.. basically this is how the engine looks for speech files:
    (the speech is in mp3 format, 64kbps mono 16-bit 44khz)

soundspeech(script number)v(nodenum)_m.mp3 or v(nodenum)_f.mp3

where (script number) is the ID of the dialog script (e.g. 01074, for Raven)
    and (nodenum) is a number for identifying the particular NPC line in the dialog file, in the intelligence check field, like this: (from 01074Raven.dlg)
    {101}{Certainly. How can I help you?}{Certainly. How can I help you?}{}{10}{}{}

this will cause the engine look for soundspeech1074v10_m.mp3 or if the female line is different, then
    soundspeech1074v10_f.mp3

I haven't tested this yet myself, but I certainly will :smile:

Well.. I hope this helps at least a little bit, but as usual I may have explained this too cryptically..
    I'll explain further if something was unclear

4. monnie101@yahoo.com

monnie101@yahoo.com New Member

ThanX DJ Unique actually I understood it, as it was exactly what I was asking.
    Keep us posted here when you do try it. I going to look more into it.

Our Host!