Saved game files and quest triggers

Discussion in 'Modding and Scripting Support' started by donnybay, Dec 8, 2001.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. donnybay

donnybay New Member

Hi,

I posted earlier about my problems with the Throwing Master quest and K'na Tha not appearing on the world map. My problems have inspired me to dig a little bit into the Arcanum game innards.

I went back to an game where I just arrived in Black Root. I spoke to Clarissa and immediately accepted the quest. This time K'na Tha was marked on the map.

I then used the character editor and gave my character 20 WP and mastery in conveyance and a MA of 100, and teleported there. I found the entrance to K'na Tha, entered and save the game. As I expected, K'na Tha 1.tmf and
    .tmn files appeared in the ArcanumSaveCurrent and a K'na Tha directory in the Maps subdirectory. I copied those files to a temporary folder.

I then loaded a later saved game, copied the K'na Tha stuff into the Current directory, saved it under a new game. I quit the game to purge the stuff in Current, loaded the new game and the K'na Tha stuff was there. So the game is compressing or saving all those map areas, without checking whether they are really part of the current game.

So I tried going to K'na Tha again, and nothing, even though the map and .tm[nf] files were there. I suspect the map isn't being loaded because a quest trigger isn't set.

Which of the Slot0xy*.* files are the quest states stored in? The .tfaf files look the biggest by far so that's probably the one. How can I edit that file to set a quest trigger or make a map location appear?

Many thanks for any help. This is kind of interesting and maybe it'll be a step towards learning to use WorldEdit and making my own mod.

2. Sheriff Fatman

Sheriff Fatman Active Member

I have to reply, since I hate seeing widowed posts, but I'm sorry I can't give you the information you requested.

I think maybe you could get more help in the modding forum. Maybe Jinxed will move it there.

3. Sheriff Fatman

Sheriff Fatman Active Member

Hoho - I wish Jinxed had stuck a *moved* note on this one. My post above makes me feel like a right tit, now we're actually IN the forum I suggested :grin:

4. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Jinxed doesn't have the power to mess with forums apart from the General Discussion and Hints'n'Tips.

As for your problem, check out TMS's forums - someone there should be able to help you.

5. donnybay

donnybay New Member

Thanks for moving my post to a more appropriate forum. I'll try TMS and see what they have learned about the saved game files.

BTW, is the Magic Flying Blade picture for the high level posters in this forum the pic for Azram's Star? Doesn't really look like the Glave in Krull unless you take out the Chakram part.

6. Jinxed

Jinxed Active Member

you are only partially right, I can move it to here but I can't move it from here to anywhere else. And also I moved it, on sheriff's note

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jinxed on 2001-12-09 12:22 ]</font>

7. Calis

Calis Member

I just moved you to the "Super Moderator" category, Jinxed. I'm not sure what the exact difference is, but you should be able to do some more stuff now.

8. Jarinor

Jarinor New Member

Is it a newbie? Is it a regular? No, it's Jinxed the Super Moderator!

(Wow, that rhymes!)

Our Host!