Small feather weight chain mail/elite plate

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by Derfud, Sep 5, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Derfud

Derfud New Member

Hi, this is my first post, and I was wondering if you could possibly combine small leather armour, and a spool of heavy wire to create featherwieght chain mail, and then if you could make elite plate from that? I have been trying to find some small leather armour, but I haven't had any luck. The only thing i come accross is small leather guard armour. Does anyone know where I can find small leather armour. The merchants dont seem to sell it.

2. Silvio-Arjunza

Silvio-Arjunza New Member

I do not believe that would work... but you would have to ask SnowMane to be sure... unless I'm mistaken she was the expert in the areas of tech last tyme a question like this arose... oh, and btw, welcome to the board! beware though, some of the members are dangerous!! *chuckles* actually, some will be wierd b/c your a noob, but most are pretty nice...

3. Solaris

Solaris New Member

Merchants do sell it. I ALWAYS steal my first small leather armor from the blacksmith in Shrouded Hills. Besides, I think that the general store keeper in Tarant has one small leather armor every day.
    Magnus is wearing small leather armor when you first meet him.

4. RC6X03NX

RC6X03NX New Member

Of course you can. Otherwise it would kind of suck to be a dwarven smith. :D
    It can also be done with large armour.

5. Solaris

Solaris New Member

Oh and there is an elite plate mail in the game that can be stolen by using a fate point. Though if you're a melee character and not bothered with the weight issue, it makes a lot more sense to steal the mechined plate from the dwarf blacksmith in Caladon.

6. RC6X03NX

RC6X03NX New Member

Or the Iron Clan Armour. That, as the smacktards put it "just plain r0x0rs".

7. Solaris

Solaris New Member

Never seen the Iron clan armor. What's the stats?
    Oh and a question about the Iron Clan quest. If I have no prowl and want to stay good- how do I obtain that "book of Durin's truth"?

8. RC6X03NX

RC6X03NX New Member

Hm. Don't have the stats right here with me, but it's, er... good. :D

If you've been to The Place of Lost Voices you can buy The Book of Durin's Truth from the widow Misk .

9. Solaris

Solaris New Member

Oh so you can BUY it? Cool! And I assume you find the Iron Clan Armor or schematics for it when you find the Iron Clan? What's the Iron Clan armour weight? Heavier or lighter than 1000?

10. RC6X03NX

RC6X03NX New Member

Er... heavier, I think. Maybe.
    Yes, you find the Iron Clan armour in the Iron Clan-thingy. You also find the Iron Clan Hammer, which is also great (don't remember the stats though, heh)

11. Silvio-Arjunza

Silvio-Arjunza New Member

12. Derfud

Derfud New Member

No schmeatics, just the items themselves.

13. Dark Elf

Dark Elf Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    If you don't want to get anything spoiled, stop reading NOW!

...but since you're still reading, you don't mind looking at the stats of the Iron Clan Armor :p :

AC 45, DR 50, PR 30, FR 30, NP -20

That's some nifty armor :)

It's way better than the machined plate:

AC 25, DR 45, PR 20, FR 20, ER -10, NP -90

14. Stuart

Stuart New Member

And lest we forget: The Iron Clan Armour gives the same stat increases as the machined plate. =)

-Stuart

15. Flink

Flink New Member

Yeah, Iron Clan armor is awsome. Related question: Is it possible to make a Large machined plate mail if you're a half-ogre smith? (Don't laugh, its possible. :)) If so, what does it look like when its equiped?

16. Dark Elf

Media:
    Do you remember the half-ogre you get to fight in the pit on the Isle of Despair? And the ones guarding that fellow in Blackroot (you know, the guy you can gamble a boat from)?

Well, that's how a half-ogre wearing a machined plate would look - I've checked in the editor. It's sad, but half-ogres look just the same wether they're wearing chain, plate or tech armor :-( - the only things that may differ are the colours.

As for your other question: Well, you need to have Assistance status in the smithy tech tree, and, ehum, doctorate in the mechanics discipline:

http://www.rpgplanet.com/arcanum/techno ... ical.shtml

As you know, doctorate is the highest level in a technological discipline, and requires an Intelligence of 19 to attain, which can't be reached by a half-ogre naturally - but I believe you can make it if you use an Int-boosting potion - bear in mind though, that your technological expertise won't increase if you do this.

...I'd rather have Sogg and Chukka in my party and build machined platemails for them, but that's just me... :)

17. Blinky969

Blinky969 Active Member

Well, if you had a Half-Ogre Sickly Child was it, the background that gives you +6 in, it would be possible.

18. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

yeah, personally i think the character modeling in arcanum and fallout 2 left much to be desired. its a little better in arcanum, but i wish someone would mod fallout so you can see armor on your followers. as for arcanum, i wish there was a little more visual diversity amongst pcs, and npcs alike, (you can change your skin tone and clothing color in baldur's gate, please dont start bitching about how much you hate that game though, theres plenty of it going on in general discussion right now anyway) i'm not asking for diablo 2 diversity, more along the lines of something to let your charactr stand out in screen shots is all. and i wish you could see my top hat in arcanum...

19. Dark Elf

Media:
    Damn, I forgot about that... yeah, that would of course be possible. It's a pretty damn good character that - the physical disadvantages won't hurt the half-ogre, since it's so strong already... can become a pretty intimidating technologist.

Oh, if you want to try out different character ideas, please download the "Virgil the pervert" mod - it's awesome :D .

You can find it here:

http://users.senet.com.au/~dbschah/modules.htm

Oh, and Sleek, I agree with you there. There's a severe lack of character customization in Arcanum - Troika probably didn't have enough time on their hands to implement visable top hats I'm afraid...

20. Sleek_Jeek

Sleek_Jeek New Member

i guess their visible top hat technology just wasnt up to snuff...

Our Host!