So football is that damned important in the US?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vorak, Jan 17, 2013.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

So the news is saying that in order to ensure the local football team isn't hurt police and court officials are going out of their way NOT to press charges in a rape case in Steubenville Ohio.

WTF? This seems to be beyond stupid.

2. Jojobobo

Jojobobo Well-Known Member

It's times like this I wish I was a footballer.

3. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

4. Jojobobo

Jojobobo Well-Known Member

Hey whoa I don't know what you're trying to imply there, but it's probably quite accurate.

5. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

Rape is one of those things where the victim is normally assumed to be at fault.

6. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

How can idiolising and rewarding the young warriors of tribalistic mock-battles in a culture of alcoholism and mysogyny possibly have led to this?

It's almost as though celebrating competitive violence has a down side.

7. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

There's a mob-mentality thing going on. Football is huge for the whole town, and so prosecuting rapists on the team would hurt the town more than defending them would hurt the victim, in a manner of "how many people would be disappointed."

It makes perfect sense if enabling criminal behavior lets you watch football.

I'm curious, as the US seems to be so horrible - Is any other nation on this planet so obsessed with sports that athletes can just do this shit and be defended by their home town?

Right now I officially rescind my statement that the US isn't more violent than the rest of the developed world.

8. ytzk

ytzk Well-Known Member

Australia is also rife with drunken, throwback footballers gangraping fangirls and the news coverage tends to focus on whether or not they're still allowed to play.

They usually get community service which entails going to schools and encouraging at-risk kids to play football.

I personally think they ought to be sterilised and imprisoned, but I'm in the minority. As with most of society's ills, I'm counting on natural law to eventually sort it out.

9. DarkFool

DarkFool Nemesis of the Ancients

Re:

This sounds far more like they're trying to find the next girl for the gangrapings.

Our Host!