The Great Arcanum Scavenger Hunt!

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by Jojobobo, Oct 14, 2011.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Jojobobo

Jojobobo Well-Known Member

I was hoping that people wouldn't generally be aware this was possible, rendering the clue more perplexing than helpful. Also the way I originally described the item was purposefully misleading to give the idea that the item had charges of Dominate Will or Succour Beast. Alas my wily tricks never work!

You know what, I searched the room with the Caladon Crusading Chainmail in it - multiple times. I even levelled up a character so they could see into the one inaccessible chest in the room (which by the way only has ginka roots and karuda stems in it). It was only with that character where I realised where I was going wrong - with all my other high level thief characters I'd always destroyed the chest containing the Caladon Crusading Chainmail to get my hands on the phat lewt - hence destroying all evidence that the chest contained a balanced sword. With this early character I've yet to pilfer such items, and so that's how I found out! Though I should have realised ages ago (and had previously checked the location) it's in the underground guard's store in Caladon along with the Caladon Crusading Chainmail.

My efforts have been so far occupied with levelling this character up and running through Gorgoth Pass to check out the location so I've yet to try and scout out the other items. I'll post up if I discover any others.

EDIT: So after saying I couldn't think of other ideas, BOOM:

• Two more:
    • Three copies of the Stillwater Blade which weren't store bought (2 of them should be pretty easy).
    • This hexed armour (again probably an easy find, but there's always the chance that people haven't found it or have the "I know I've seen that before, but I can't remember where from" syndrome):

[​IMG]

2. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

The two easy ones are in the inventory of Richard Leeks, one of which is given as a quest reward.

The third one is wielded by Prince Auguste Farad in Caladon.

It's the Hexed Leather Armour and it's in a locked chest in Jongle Dunne's house in Shrouded Hills.

I'm dealing with that syndrome when it comes to the found trap springer at the moment.

Two additional targets:
    • A ring which appears to have four charges which are unusable by the player.

A fan fact is that it's not an error in the ring's description. It actually comes with Dominate Will charges, but for some reason (bug, I'm guessing), the player can't use them. Which cannot be said about NPCs including followers, however.
    • A non-magickal non-tech piece of clothing which gives the wearer +10% magick resistance.

3. Jojobobo

I would give a hint but I can't think of a good one, I guess you could say it's on someone/found somewhere logical for where you'd think you'd find a trap springer so if you keep searching I'm sure you'll turn it up.

I thought I'd just re-list the remaining targets because there are a few dotted around in the thread now:

• A ring which appears to have four charges of Dominate Will which are unusable by the player.
    • A non-magickal non-tech piece of clothing which gives the wearer +10% magick resistance.
    • Two envenomed swords excluding the one found on Grunwalde and the one available for purchase in Stillwater. Must be found not crafted.
    • A found trap springer.
    • The fourth Power Axe + a Small Elite Plate Mail (found rather than created from a schematic).
      Hint: These items are equipped by a high-rank military officer.
    • The fifth Power Axe.
      Hint: It is in the inventory of an translucent being.
    • A found not forged balanced sword, excluding the one in the Caladon underground guard room in the same chest as the Caladon Crusading Chainmail.
      Hint: It is in the inventory of a man in a nice suit.
    • This ring - which appears to be functionally the same as a magick ring, also it is not the unique Magick Ring from the Uncharted Cave:

[​IMG]
    I'm currently on the hunt so I'll post up if I find any items which I didn't post up myself.

UPDATE: So I've searched for a few hours and found... nothing, nothing what so ever! But I have found four more items I thought would make good targets.

Four more:

• Two scrolls of teleportation in people's inventories - excluding the one found on the conveyance master in Tulla (though I guess there is a strong possibility these aren't the only two, I just haven't seen others yet)
    • A rusty dagger found on the floor
    • 2 fine revolvers, 1 revolver, 1 shotgun and a Caladon elite sword (as well as other things) all in one room
    • These spiffy robes:

[​IMG]
    UPDATE 2: Is the fourth power axe on the military lobbyist who you meet in the persuasion mastery quest? As military officers go this is the only one I can think of, I'm pretty sure I've checked all the dwarves in the Wheel Clan previously. Also are any of the other items (I'm looking at you balanced sword) on the lobbyists? I have no way to confirm this without making a persuasive character and getting past Quintarra in order to get the quest, which I'm far too lazy to do! The current search expeditions with my regular characters are taxing enough.

Furthermore are any of the items in the Castle of Snel Nea or K'na Tha? Again I cannot easily check these locations, specifically I'm wondering if the fifth power axe is on a translucent being in the Castle of Snel Nea?

UPDATE 3:

Is the Negotiator's Ring on the shopkeeper of Thurston's Fashion Palace in Tarant what you're talking about? It has four charges that are useless to the character as far as I can tell.

Also I've searched for a few hours now and not turned up any more of the items, any extra hints you feel like sharing Muro?

4. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Venomous Robes. Locked black chest at the beginning of the underground level of the Ashbury Castle.

There is a rusty dagger and a rusty sword on the ground at the Mysterious Location just outside of Caladon.

Is this the one?

Correct. The military representative is a caladonian general wearing a Small Elite Plate and wielding a Power Axe.

Nope.

You could always do what I do - abuse Virgil's Debug Menu.

No on all accounts.

Forgive my inner Arcanum spelling Nazi, but he insists that I point out that the castle is actually named S'nel N'fa.

Why yes, yes it is.

Hints:
    • A non-magickal non-tech piece of clothing which gives the wearer +10% magick resistance:
      The magick resistance bonus is "hidden", as in, it isn't mentioned in the item's description. Easiest way to notice it is to put the item on and check your resistances.
    • The fifth Power Axe:
      It is in the inventory of a translucent red undead knight.
    • The second found Balanced Sword:
      The class of the man in a nice suit wielding it is Human Bandit.

New targets:
    • Shield of Force. Found rather than bought.
    • Two copies of medium-sized Pilgrim's Robes.

5. Jojobobo

Yep, that's the one.

Okay I'll use the debug menu and see if this turns anything more up, I've never once used it before.

Well then you have my sincere apologies, but under the locations tab of this website it's listed as Snel Nfa so I wasn't to know any better! I think I only went to S'nel N'fa once very early on when I got the game, this was before I realised that a flow spektrometer or sense hidden were decidedly better options for trap detection. I think now I'd only level it up if I was going for a low intelligence character.

This is going to be a pain to find! I'm asuming the item does stand out in some way though? As in it's not just listed as "nice suit" or something like that with no way of differentiating between it and another item? Otherwise that will be impossible.

I've already checked the two at the Stonecutter Clan and the Bangellian Deeps (even though I was pretty much sure the one at the Bangellian Deeps had an arcane axe, I still felt the need to double check); I guess I'll have to cast my net a little wider.

6. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Huh. It really does say "Snel Nea" there. And "Lair of Bellergorin". Our site is so full of such little and big errors, it's saddening.

Fear not, you can't mistake the item I have in mind with any other. For one thing, it has a name no other item has.

7. Jojobobo

Well I guess I'm going to go check the neutral aptitude items on shopkeepers then, that's the only thing I can think of as a starting point for the search!

One I'm sure most people will know of is in the Panarii Temple at Shrouded Hills, the other I will get back to you on - everyone I've looked at so far has been wearing priest's robes, though I'm sure I've seen another set somewhere else before.

8. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Figured this one out.

This set of items can be found on the people discussing the matter of the problematic monument in Ashbury's town hall.

I found four:
    • Dark magick shop clerk in Tarant
    • Magick shop clerk in Caladon
    • Elven trader in Ashbury
    • Ashbury Hostelry's inkeeper

9. Jojobobo

I was hoping the Caladon elite sword would mislead people into thinking it was in Caladon somewhere; it is a bit odd that he's carrying one.

As I expected there were more than I thought, one of the ones I had in mind was the one in the innkeeper's inventory. There is still another out there and it should prove a bit more difficult to place.

So after many long hours I finally remembered the Ruins of Szabo has red undead knights, and lo and behold upon searching one there it was! I think the reason why I had such mental block remembering this was that the Ruins of Szabo for me are always associated with the cave area and all those tattered bowmen, not the few rooms that come before. Just like the machined hammers I think it's pretty surprising there are 5 in the game when only a couple are well known about.

As for any of your other items I'm having trouble! The hint about the balanced sword would be very useful if I could remember seeing a human bandit in a nice suit, which unfortunately I can't. The only bandits I can even think of are those found in the Tarant old sewers. As for the pilgrim's robes I've checked the likely places and people I can think of (Vooriden, Willy Thorndup, Dante, the dead wizard in the Secret Village, Alexander, the Panarii temple in Caladon and the Panarii temple in Tarant) and all I'm getting is robes and priest robes; for the time being I'm out of ideas. For the item with added magick resistance I thought I'd be able to find it more easily by using pickpocket to look at their resistances, but apparently many NPCs have seemingly inexplicable magick resistance so this isn't any use. I'll keep at it and see what I come up with.

• Another five items:
    • Strong poison found on the floor
    • Two wielded katanas (in the hope that the aforementioned syndrome will kick in as I'm almost certain Muro will have come across these before, if not then take that as a slight hint)
    • A staff found on an elf who's class is "Elf Wizard" (when I say a staff I mean a staff, not a magickal staff of any sort; again there is a chance that another elf wizard might be carrying a staff but hopefully given how mediocre an item it is this will be the only one)
    • Chain gloves equipped by a person who has no other items in their inventory/on their person
    • A large pipe wielded by someone who isn't an orc or half-orc thief
    UPDATE:

It's on one of Virgil's killers; after thinking about it these were the only people I could think of that I hadn't checked who might be labelled a bandit. Virgil's debug menu was a godsend to solving this. For some reason I thought they were all equipped with guns til I checked.

Also just to clarify the +10 MR item isn't on a shopkeeper of any sort, bartender or innkeeper is it? I think I've checked them all, though if I've missed one or done something stupid then I thought it was better to know now rather than continue my search elsewhere. Also what classes as clothing? Does jewelry or armour count; or is it just items like suits, gloves, boots and hats?

UPDATE 2: I'm entirely out of ideas for the rest of the items, any hints you could give Muro? Do you need any hints for mine or are you okay?

10. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Congratulations on the found targets, Jojobobo.

It's the Void Ring - the one found on the Bludgeoner NW of his master's castle.

I wouldn't call it the Malloy's Peacemaker of magick rings, though, seeing how it does have an additional function related with the portals.

Since the sword can be bought at several shops outside of Caladon, I always treated Caladon just as their source rather than their necessary location, just like with the Stillwater Blade.

A fifth Scroll of Teleport is on an elf city dweller in the Toadstool pub in Caladon. Is this the one?

Make that 6. More on it below.

No need for new ideas, the second set of medium sized Pilgrim's Robes is in one of the locations you already checked and mentioned above. There are Small Pilgrim's Robes (strangely enough, named "Pilgrim's Robes" just like the medium ones) in the same place, too.

Are you sure it's inexplicable, though?

I know this one, but I feel I may have an unfair advantage. I'll wait a few days before answering in case anyone else wants to take a guess.

They are equipped by one of the human thieves in the Dernholm Pits.

Is the factory foreman in the factory with the orcs in Tarant the one you have in mind?

No, it is not.

I'd say anything that can be worn that isn't a weapon, a shield or a piece of armor counts as clothing.

That being said, suits, dresses, robes, cloaks, jackets and rags are clothing, while leather armors, chainmails and platemails aren't. All jewelry is clothing. Leather gloves are clothing, but metal gauntlets aren't. Leather shoes and boots are clothing, but metal ones are armor. Hats and glasses are clothing, but helmet aren't.

The +10 MR non-magick non-tech piece of clothing goes into the "torso" category.

The person wielding the Shield of Force has a Dagger of Speed in his/her other hand.

I'm good for now. Search parties may be slow due to intensification of thesis-related work, but they are operating. Expect me to ask for hints when I run out of ideas, though.

I feel like giving a big batch of new targets so here it goes:
    • The mentioned above sixth Power Axe. It is wielded by a person being a part of a team, where one (no more no less) of his/her teammates wears Bronze Barbarian Clothes.
    • A very rare technological potion. When used on a NPC, it summons a random wild animal (from a wolf to a forest ape) which attacks the NPC. Cannot be bought or created. Only one copy of this item can be found the whole game world.
    • Scroll of Familiar. Found rather than bought. Not the one on Harold Sumner in Tulla.
    • Four cans of ammonia in a single berrel
    • Electric Light. Found rather than created.
    • Ring of Protection. Worn by two NPCs.
    • Mithril Ore. Found rathen than bought. Found outside of dwarven mines.
    • White rustic finery (as in, the item's inventory graphic is brown as usual, but give the user white suit sprites).
    • Bow of Damage
    • A non-magickal non-tech helmet which looks like this:

[​IMG]

11. Jojobobo

Well congratulations on your found targets too Muro.

I realised this after my first post, but I thought by this point acknowledging it had scripted affects would give it away too easily. I was going to offer this as a hint if it caused problems, also when I mentioned the ring again when I re-listed all the targets I said it "appears" to be functionally the same - an allusion to my new found knowledge. Still the guilt of my slight misdirection continues to haunt me at night.

Indeed.

Ack, now my ability to even search a location properly is failing! I'll have a look.

Well see for yourself:

[​IMG]

Here's the half-elf shopkeeper in Enchanted Panapoly in Caladon. I stole his Fleet Helm just to remove any doubt that it added MR. I used read aura and he has no spells to account for an MR of 30, also I cast disperse magick on him and it fails to work. All he is wearing is a nice suit. Unless I'm being stupid I can't see any reason to account for his MR? There's more shopkeepers with MR I can't account for too, this was just the first example that sprung to mind.

Yes you do; as I said I was just banking on you forgetting where you saw them, otherwise I knew you'd know where they were straight away!

Yes it is, as this item is story state specific I was hoping it might slip through the net.

Thanks for the clarification. And...

Thanks for the hints, though not a single unique torso item springs to mind and I've never seen the Shield of Force and Dagger of Speed combo before! I'll get looking.

Not on the crew at the pit of fires (I know I know, she's not wearing Bronze Barbarian Clothes but I didn't know until I looked), any of the women at the Women's Camp on the Isle of Despair or the barbarians at Kree - I'll have to think on this one.

I foolishly assumed this would be either Mr Fitzgerald's Potion of Dark Power, Lethe Wyvern Venom or Naptha Water - but no! I'm very intigued by this item.

It's in the cabinet in Rupert's House of Well-Worn Effects in Dernholm.

It's on the Elven Trader in Ashbury.

It's Fa'al Kin's Helmet in Tulla, a quest item. Fa'al Kin's items were one of the first things I looked at when searching for an item that had a hidden +10 MR bonus.

I'll have a better look for the other items when I get some more free time.

• Also I'll add one more:
    • A wielded flamberge

12. moonlight

moonlight Member

Has anyone noticed the chest behind hadrian's room in the panari temple that cant be reached? I think this is a unique chest.
    by the way, great thread inspired me to start a character just to collect those items. :)

13. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

Most odd, I'll admit. If the creators wanted them to have increased MR, why not just give them Dorian Amulets rather than give them unexplained bonuses?

If "unique" stands for "one of a kind", the item I have in mind is not unique, though there is a limited fixed number of copies of it in the game.

The wielder has a name rather than simply being [race][class], if that helps.

Well, it appears you are correct. Had a different one in mind though, meaning there is at least one more out there.

Kree, human bandit wearing Hexed Barbarian Armour, standing near the altar with the golden idol.

I remember trying all sorts of things in an attempt to check what's inside once. I think I recall someone checking it in WorldEd and saying that it's actually empty.

14. rroyo

rroyo Active Member

I just checked and it is indeed empty.

15. Jojobobo

It does seem to undermine the mechanics of the game if people can just have added resistance for nothing.

Hmmm that does give me some ideas as to what it might be, I'll test them out later when I have the chance.

I'm sure that will help, I'll get looking.

I always thought it was a bit unusual he had one, especially considering how impoverished Dernholm is.

I seem to remember reading ages ago this was just to make the reachable cabinets in Hadrian's room open when he wanted them to and making them unable to open before that (unless you kill him). Then again I'm probably talking crap.

16. symban

symban New Member

Jojobobo and Muro you are really amazing at the hunt. I wish I could join you but my job is taking my day and night, and whats spared is used as dinner time with my wife and dish washing. For now all I can do is throwing targets;

A NPC *equipped* with one of each nature item (neutral/tech/magical)

I will reveal a new hint everyday till its found, first hint is:

tech item equipped is VERY rare (less than 5 in world)

17. Muro

Muro Well-Known Member

That sounds like Lianna Pel Dar in Dernholm.

Neutral leather armour, tech Machined Gauntlets and magickal Sword of Baltar.

18. Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane Well-Known Member

It's Gideon, isn't it?

Also, and I'll admit this is a pretty easy one, where can Stygian Ghouls be found in Arcanum?

19. symban

symban New Member

Congratulations Muro, I wasnt expecting that fast honestly.

By the way wolfsbane your sign reminded me of knights of cydonia - muse video clip.

20. Jojobobo

There's two of them in the Ancient Maze.

Finally found the second set. It's in an easy to miss chest in the corner of the Panarii temple in Tarant. I can remember noticing this chest before a few years back but since then I'd entirely forgotten about it. I find it a bit odd Pilgrim's Robes are found here and in Shrouded Hills because you'd think if a Panarii acolyte was going to make a pilgrimage it would be to the largest temple in Caladon.

I just remembered there's another in the Vendigroth Ruins, isn't there? I'm searching now to confirm this but it's easy to miss chests in there.

• Here's another target:
    • A Murderain (it's a creature)

Our Host!