traps dont seem to operate in fast-turn-based combat mode

Discussion in 'Arcanum Discussion' started by namad, Sep 3, 2006.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. namad

namad Member

traps dont seem to operate in fast-turn-based combat mode so if u wanna skip traps ... seems to work for me...(car-arcanum)

also... when are randomly generated chests determined? at game begining? when you load the map? or when u open the chest?

2. Zebulin

Zebulin New Member

Re: traps dont seem to operate in fast-turn-based combat mod

must be a bug. traps get me in Car arcanum regardless of whether I'm turn-based or real time so long as I or a party member steps on them

3. Vorak

Vorak Administrator Staff Member

I don't think I've ever used fast turn based. How exactly does it differ from regualr turn based?

4. namad

namad Member

in fast turn based mode no one moves

in fast turn based mode no one moves they simply warp to the destination they wanted to move too and lose the movement points they would have used... it makes the turns go a LOT faster maybe even faster than realtime because all the enemies/teammate warp around making their movements instantly... and since your warping around never actually walking you dont set off traps... seems like it might make sense from a bug's point of a view

5. Vorak

Well yeah, if you don't actully step on the tile, it won't be triggered.

6. namad

namad Member

erhmm no even if you DO step on a tile i think it might not

erhmm no even if you DO step on a tile i think it might not trigger because your not stepping on the tile your zen-ing your way onto it (that part i'm not sure about but i've walked through a lot of minefields this way in the early game...there seems to be no real way to avoid traps reliably that i can see..)

7. Vorak

So even if I am standing right on top of a trap it won't go off?

8. namad

namad Member

well i never stood on a trap that had been spotted but

well i never stood on a trap that had been spotted but i...well i used this cheap tactic only once and it was to get spot... when spot started to walk out he spotted a ton of traps that looked like they were in about the same square i'd been standing in earlier

9. Zebulin

Zebulin New Member

Re: well i never stood on a trap that had been spotted but

I've never read this anywhere but my experience seems to be that at least some traps have only a random chance of going off any given time they are stepped on either in real time or turn based or non combat mode.

I know I've walked in to a rom and hit no traps and on the way back out spotted traps in a line of tiles all the way across the room.

10. Grossenschwamm

Grossenschwamm Well-Known Member

That's all due to the isometric perspective of Arcanum. It's possible to walk in between two tiles (diagonally, of course) and not spot a trap because it's out of your character's view, but when you come across the same room later you might take a slightly different path that happens to intersect a tile containing a trap. However, you lessen your encountering of traps by going into fast turn based combat mode. I can still manage to trigger the odd trap while using this little trick, but it's so rare it doesn't matter. Actually, traps never do enoough damage to me to matter, anyway, so...yeah

11. TONGSyaBASS

TONGSyaBASS Member

When you load the map i.e. enter the sector that contains the chest.

Our Host!