Zen-Virgil bug.

Discussion in 'Arcanum Hints & Tips' started by Entrancer, Dec 12, 2003.

Remove all ads!
Support Terra-Arcanum:

GOG.com

PayPal - The safer, easier way to pay online!
  1. Entrancer

Entrancer New Member

Ok, I've played through this game at least 30 times or so. I've noticed more than half of the time Virgil always ends up bugged. Example; I just got out of Qintarra and Raven has joined with me, I've rescued Virgil from the thieves underneath The Sobbing Onion, he is not level 25 nor does he have any type of new abilities or anything. He stays plain ol' Virgil with some new dialogue. I don't cheat, I've never edited my Arcanum folders, and I've made sure to reinstall on numerous occasions to try and fix the bug. Nothing works. I'm also patched if anyone is wondering. Any help would be much appreciated.

2. Canis

Canis New Member

You're patched, aren't you. Not to worry, that's how it's supposed to be. Hopefully he's at low enough level that he can gain his new abilities as he progresses.

3. Entrancer

Entrancer New Member

Ahh, thanks. I appreciate your help. I have one more question though. I could have sworn Virgil recites something different for each critical hit you make after he "reforms." Did they also remove this in the patch?

4. Canis

Canis New Member

You know, I thought so too but I've got him in that stage now and it seems not to be the case. Evil Surly Virgil has a different line ("Hah! Die you bastards! That will teach them!") but both before and after his "reformation" Virgil seems to have the same line for that one. Maybe if I'm hideously bored I'll go through all his voice files and see if there's one in there that's not being used....

For future reference, I've recently learned that the earlier you get Virgil reformed the better, as far as his leveling scheme is concerned. Do it too late and you'll never see the new stuff. Sucks, because you have to hurry through part of the main quest to do it. That's why I prefer pre-patch Virgil, who comes back at level 25 with plenty of time to level up anew.

Bah.

5. Goldenboy

Goldenboy New Member

I think it's this:

-100 Alignment=Hah! Die you bastards! That will teach them!

No Alignment=That the way to show those bast...I mean good hit sir!

+100 Alignment=Good Show! Perhaps they'll think twice before attacking us again!

Remember only Virgil has a felxable alignment

6. Canis

Canis New Member

Nope. Normal Virgil, regardless of alignment will have, "That is the way to show those bast...I mean, good hit, sir!" Evil Surly Virgil, who I've had as low as -100 and as high as around 0, will say, "Hah! Die you bastards! That will teach them!" Redeemed Virgil, who I've had from +40 to +100, will say yet again, "That is the way to show those bast...I mean, good hit, sir!" I haven't tried taking Evil Surly Virgil to +100, or Redeemed Virgil into the Truly Evil Range. Perhaps a project for the future.

7. Entrancer

Entrancer New Member

I'm still puzzled. I just unpatched the damned thing.

8. DrFraud

DrFraud New Member

I wouldn't do that if I were you. The various graphic and gameplay bugs you get without the patch are much more annoying than the Virgil bug you get with it, IMO.

9. Entrancer

Entrancer New Member

Yeah, I'm aware of this. As anal as it may sound, I'd much rather have Virgil shout "Good Show! Perhaps they'll think twice before attacking us again!" than the same ol' boring phrase he says in the patched version.

Our Host!